Good morning and welcome to 10 Factors in Tech. If this was forwarded to you, sign up below.
Let’s get started off.
1. John McAfee has died by obvious suicide in jail when awaiting extradition on tax evasion costs. McAfee, 75, was found lifeless in a Barcelona jail cell on Wednesday. Previously in the working day, Spain’s National Courtroom permitted his extradition to confront US-primarily based fees. What we know so far.
2. Six Amazon staff expose what’s driving men and women to quit. We spoke with fifty percent a dozen workers who all cited the similar issues: surveillance, the work’s monotonous mother nature, and burnout. This is what else they informed us.
3. These 19 providers are the most promising retail startups of 2021. Prime VCs named the startups they are most thrilled about this yr — from Slice, a pizza supply app, to Tonal, an at-dwelling smart health club system. Check out our list of the ones to keep an eye on.
4. Apple warned that permitting iPhones to use apps from exterior its App Retail outlet is a stability hazard. The warning will come as lawmakers find to pressure Apple to permit apps from any place to be set up on iPhones. Why Apple claims “sideloading” apps outside the App Shop is harmful.
5. Microsoft has hit a $2 trillion market valuation for the very first time. It’s the second US-outlined company — subsequent Apple — to hit the $2 trillion mark. Get the total rundown in this article.
6. Mark Zuckerberg’s ghostly sunscreen application is back — this time, it’s plastered on his surfboard. It is really an graphic that haunts us all: Zuck surfing with a thick layer of sunscreen on his face. Now, you can see it immortalized on his surfboard.
7. Tech legend Marc Andreessen suggests the rise of distant do the job may be more crucial than the world wide web. It’s “a long term civilizational shift” that has globally expanded the number of good positions, he a short while ago wrote. Asking yourself what the future of operate should seem like for you? Choose this quiz to figure out if you do the job very best from household, an business or somewhere in between.
8. Apple CEO Tim Prepare dinner referred to as Nancy Pelosi to talk to her to slow down six tech antitrust expenses. The bills — which Prepare dinner claimed would stifle innovation — are aimed at breaking up any marketplace dominance tech giants like Apple, Google, and Fb hold. A lot more on Cook and Pelosi’s call.
9. Austin lured 67,000 new citizens — including several tech execs and business owners — previous 12 months. We spoke with new transplants who informed us how no state money tax and a rollicking social scene drew them to the Lone Star Point out. Choose an within search at lifetime in Texas.
10. Tractable survived in close proximity to-dying, then its founder turned it into a $1 billion unicorn. Just a number of decades in the past, Tractable was hanging on by a thread. This year, the enterprise introduced a spherical of funding that valued it at $1 billion. How CEO Alex Dalyac and his cofounders remodeled the startup.
Signal up for far more Insider newsletters listed here.